I think I may have found a winning structure for my Fusion Orchestra 2 solo at last! It has taken a lot of experimentation but I think I’ve found something that:
a. Suits my playing style
b. Is something I will enjoy playing and extemporising upon.
Have a look and see what you think:
I was aiming to include nearly all the strokes I could say i had some control over. So we start with the buzz roll, then some fills including the double bass pedal. Next, some more single stroke rolls with accents and so on around the kit.
Throughout I’ve also tried to show the art of control – both in speed and control. My first thoughts are that overall, it’s a little fast over all but I don’t know – is that what would please an audience and convince them they’ve seen a capable player?
Til next time,
(p.s. just adding this – I made the mistake (?) of watching Neil Peart performing his solo in Munich the night after I’d recorded mine…made me wonder whether to put mine up at all!…but then I thought, hey, we’re all different and at our different stages. Some of us seemingly unreachable but hey…)
- Double Kick Doodle (rattledrum.wordpress.com)
- Rattledrum News 1st July (rattledrum.wordpress.com)
- Pre-gig warm up (rattledrum.wordpress.com)
- Free Style intro for Drum solo – idea #1 (rattledrum.wordpress.com)
- Rattledrum News June 11th (rattledrum.wordpress.com)
- Rattledrum News 18th June (rattledrum.wordpress.com)